Linux Action News 201
August 8th, 2021
21 mins 6 secs
About this Episode
Since the announcement of the Steam Deck, things around Linux have started changing, including some big items this week.
Plus how PipeWire will improve day-to-day desktop life, Google's push for more kernel investments, and a lot more.Support Linux Action News
- Google Calls On Companies To Devote More Engineers To Upstream Linux, Toolchains — The post notes that stable Linux kernel releases see close to 100 new fixes each week, but given that rate of change vendors are not always picking up the latest fixes or in some cases just trying to cherry-pick the "important" fixes. Besides acknowledging the need for more upstream kernel developers, the post also encourages vendors to go the route of chasing the latest Linux stable or LTS kernel releases in order to incorporate all fixes.
- Google Online Security Blog: Linux Kernel Security Done Right
- It’s time to improve Linux’s security | ZDNet
- Google slams Linux kernel, says it needs major security investment | TechRadar
- Bug in Lynx’ SSL certificate validation
- Intel Proposes Linux Kernel Driver Allow/Deny Filtering — Given the VMM is an untrusted entity and the VMM presents emulated hardware to the guest, a threat vector similar to Thunderclap  is present. Also, for ease of deployment, it is useful to be able to use the same kernel binary on host and guest, but that presents a wide attack surface given the range of hardware supported in typical builds.
- [PATCH v1] driver: base: Add driver filter support
- PipeWire 0.3.33 Released — Bluetooth can now automatically switch between headset and audio profile
- 0.3.33 · PipeWire / pipewire · GitLab
- Samsung's In-Kernel SMB3 Server Gets Closer to Real — Samsung has been developing "KSMBD" (formerly also known as CIFSD) as an in-kernel SMB3 file sharing server.
- I tried Steam Deck early and it’s AWESOME! - YouTube — It's my lucky day! Valve let me try the Steam Deck early - And it destroyed my expectations. Just how good is it? Let me explain...
- I Have MORE to Say About Steam Deck - WAN Show August 6, 2021 - YouTube
- A major bug fix week over at the KDE project — We are really trying to improve the stability of our software now that it’s starting to be used in more 3rd-party products like the Steam Deck.
- Lutris 0.5.9 Beta Released With Epic Games Store Support — The Lutris 0.5.9 beta delivers on initial support for the Epic Games Store, support for DXVK-NVAPI and DLSS, FidelityFX Super Resolution is now an exposed option for compatible Wine versions, Valve's Gamescope Wayland game compositor is now an option, Esync usage is now enabled by default, the Dolphin emulator is now available as a game source, improved process monitoring, and other enhancements. It's quite a hearty update for this game manager.
- Many Interesting Talks On Deck For The X.Org Developers Conference 2021 - Phoronix
- Join our Telegram Group — jupiterbroadcasting.com/telegram
- Get Linux Action News weekly by subscribing for free