Linux Action News 163
November 15th, 2020
26 mins 45 secs
About this Episode
The Ubuntu bug you need to patch, PayPal's Bitcoin support goes live, and a breaking change inbound to systemd.
Plus the Linux tech Greg KH is most excited about, and more.Support Linux Action News
- Ubuntu fixes bugs that standard users could use to become root — A handful of commands was all it took for untrusted users to become all-powerful.
- Now-patched Ubuntu desktop vulnerability allows privilege escalation
- How to get root on Ubuntu 20.04 by pretending nobody’s /home
- Meet Proxmox Backup Server, a Debian-Based Open Source Enterprise Backup Solution — Proxmox launched today Proxmox Backup Server as a new edition of its Debian-based Linux distribution engineered to act as an enterprise solution for backing up and restoring physical hosts, virtual machines and containers.
- Proxmox Roadmap
- Proxmox Backup Server
- Proxmox Backup Git Repo
- PayPal's crypto trading goes live in the US — Customers will be able to trade up to $20,000 a week, rather than the originally announced $10,000.
- Systemd catches up with bind events — Perhaps the real lesson here is that the community would be better served by closer relations between the kernel project and projects managing low-level utilities like systemd.
- eBPF - The Future of Networking & Security — Cilium is an open source project that has been designed on top of eBPF to address the networking, security, and visibility requirements of container workloads. It provides a high-level abstraction on top of eBPF. Cilium is to eBPF what Kubernetes and container runtimes are to Linux kernel namespaces, cgroups, and seccomp
- Linux App Summit 2020